Dry Ice Blasting is a Solution for Cleaning Transformers
While most people don’t pause long enough to consider and appreciate the widespread availability of electricity in modern society, it’s not something that should be taken for granted. And one of the primary reasons alternating AC voltages and currents are used in our homes and places of work is that AC power supplies can be generated at a convenient voltage and then transformed into higher voltages that are distributed around the nation’s infrastructure using a complicated, spaghetti-like network of cables.
What is a Transformer?
A transformer is designed to safely modulate and control voltage levels in an AC electrical circuit. It can convert AC power to DC power in a safe and efficient manner.
Transformers are all around us. You’ll find massive transformers attached to telephone poles and tiny ones embedded into handheld consumer electronics. There are various types, including power transformers, distribution transformers, step up and step down transformers, single-phase transformers, three-phase transformers, autotransformers, etc.
contact us about
Cleaning Transformers Using Dry Ice Blasting
Precautions for Cleaning Transformers
Excessive accumulation of dirt and buildup of dust are two of the primary concerns with transformers. Dirt and dust tend to gather on transformer windings or insulators and may prevent the free flow of air that’s needed to keep the transformer operating smoothly and efficiently.
While transformers must be properly cleaned on occasion, traditional cleaning methods could lead to damage, deterioration, or premature wear. Certain precautions must be taken. For obvious reasons, there can be no exposure to moisture or electrical conductivity. Liquid cleaners, which would otherwise be effective, could harm insulated materials and/or cause corrosion.
The Benefits of Using Dry Ice Blasting to Clean Transformers
When it comes to cleaning transformers, dry ice blasting is the safest and most effective solution on the market. It’s considered the best method of completing regular maintenance on electrical power generation equipment and can be used in a variety of settings and applications. Benefits include:
- No moisture. The beauty of dry ice is that it changes from a solid into a gas without ever going through the liquid phase. This provides a totally dry cleaning process that prevents unnecessary damage.
- No mess. Unlike sandblasting, which leaves behind fine particles, dry ice simply sublimates into the air. This means there’s no mess left behind.
- No abrasion. While other cleaning methods rely on scraping, scrubbing, or blasting to chip away at residue and material, dry ice blasting causes no abrasion. This ensures there’s no damage to the transformer.
- Clean in place. With dry ice blasting, you’re able to clean the transformer in place. This saves time and prevents issues related to removing and reinstalling parts.
- Safe for all. Dry ice blasting uses ice and air – two materials that are completely safe for the environment, equipment, employees, and surrounding equipment. This means there’s no need to worry about harming anyone or anything.